Monday, December 15, 2008

2 Prophets

Ok I finally turned in my last project for my class, The Bible as Literature. For our final project we were able to choose between two projects,  a paper or a creative project. Of course I chose the creative. I chose the prophet Joseph of Egypt and Moses. I could basically do whatever I wanted to do. I chose to interpret their faces and each of their journeys as prophets of God. For Joseph that you see up above I chose a more ethnic face and decided to use charcoal pencils because I thought it would create more shadow and make their faces look real. I chose a more innocent face. Behind him are 7 circles to represent the 7 years of famine and harvest that he interpreted in the Pharoah's dream, and inside each circle is something that defines his life. The last circle represents his genealogy of Abraham and the promise God gave to his family. I love each of these paintings and drawings because I am a huge fan of mixed media and I haven't drawn in a long time so it was fun to get back into it again.

This one is Moses. This one is my favorite because I love how I was able to capture his curious, strong face. But that showed also a somewhat shy timid personality. The sayings which you can't read I put 10 of them for 10 commandments and each one says something about his life as a prophet. They are going away from his face because his brother was the one who did the speaking for him many times. And the swarms of flies are to represent the plagues. I hope you all like these. I ended up giving them to my professor. He was very excited about them! ENJOY!

Michael here with an update: Joanna got 100 on her project and 100 on her Final!  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting artwork!

Kim said...

You did an awesome job Jo!

Kevin and DeNiel said...

Wow! You gave them to your professor--what a lucky guy! I love them! ---Mom

karen louise said...

Wow jo...you are amazing. I love looking at your artwork, and I miss it so much. Thank you for sharing it in the blog!!!

liso. said...

oh, wow, they're beautiful! well done, i'm so impressed by your talent!

Ron and Anna said...

Joanna,
You have such talent! These paintings need to be lithographed. Also, the Church has artists contribute their work, (or copies) yearly in the Ensign. I think you should enter them and let them see them or use them when the OLD TESTAMENT comes around again next year. Really. It is artsy but expressive and has deep meaning. I love them both and would like copies. Your work is original and you should do what you can to make sure your own family and posterity have your work...you are good.
Value yourself.
Love, Anna